RE: The internet architecture

2008-12-05 16:47:53
Yes, that is indeed where the world is going.

My point is that it would be nice if the IETF had a means of guiding the
outcome here through an appropriate statement from the IAB.

Legacy applications are legacy. But we can and should push new applications to
use SRV based connections or some elaboration on the same principle. Even with
legacy applications, MX was a retrofit to SMTP.

________________________________

From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org on behalf of Henning Schulzrinne
Sent: Fri 12/5/2008 9:40 AM
To: Thomas Narten; IETF discussion list; tae(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: The internet architecture

Wouldn't it have been nice if the de facto APIs in use today were more
along the lines of ConnectTo(DNS name, service/port).

This certainly seems to be the way that "modern" APIs are heading. If
I'm not mistaken, Java, PHP, Perl, Tcl, Python and most other
scripting languages have a socket-like API that does not expose IP
addresses, but rather connects directly to DNS names. (In many cases,
they unify file and socket opening and specify the application
protocol, to, so that one can do fopen("http://www.ietf.org
<http://www.ietf.org/> "), for
example.) Thus, we're well on our way towards the goal of making
(some) application oblivious to addresses. I suspect that one reason
for the popularity of these languages is exactly that programmers
don't want to bother remembering when to use ntohs().

Henning