Re: The internet architecture

2008-12-05 11:48:09

John Day wrote:
Speak for yourself David. These problems have been well understood and discussed since 1972. But you are correct, that there were still a large unwashed that didn't and I am still not sure why that was. This seems to be elementary system architecture.

John,

After your or I or whoever indulges in our flash of brilliant insight, it is the unwashed who do all the work.

So I was careful to refer to "the community" rather than claim that no one at all understand the issue.

I measure the community in terms of that pesky "rough consensus" construct and particularly in terms of running code. Even in terms of the much more relaxed measure, namely mindshare, the community reflects no clear consensus on the matter of name-vs-address split, beyond now believing that we should do more of it.

We are only beginning to see broader use of the distinction between transient, within-session naming, for merging data coming in from alternate paths, versus global, persistent naming, for initial rendez vous.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking