Re: sockets vs. fds

2008-12-05 11:50:13

John Day wrote:
Not sure when the RAND work was.

1977.  One of several IPC efforts for Unix around that time.

I was in that group, but had nothing to do with that work and frankly failed to tracking its significance.

> But if you were worrying about UDP it
was much later. When Illinois put UNIX on the Net in the summer of 75, we ran into several initial problems.

The key point that Melinda made, that resonated with me, is the unfortunate matter of semantic mismatch, between the Unix 'file' construct and the networking 'packet' construct. Even the 'tcp' construct had some challenges.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking