Re: The internet architecture

2008-12-05 11:39:42
Henning Schulzrinne wrote:

Wouldn't it have been nice if the de facto APIs in use today were more
along the lines of ConnectTo(DNS name, service/port).

This certainly seems to be the way that "modern" APIs are heading. If
I'm not mistaken, Java, PHP, Perl, Tcl, Python and most other scripting
languages have a socket-like API that does not expose IP addresses, but
rather connects directly to DNS names.

and yet, people wonder why so many network applications are still
written in C, despite all of the security issues associated with weak
typing, explicit memory management, and lack of bounds checking on array