Re: where to send RFC 5378 license forms

2008-12-19 19:12:35
Dear Jorge;

On Dec 19, 2008, at 2:13 PM, Contreras, Jorge wrote:

(I tracked the first sentence of the "Managed objects are accessed"
phrase back to RFC 1065, August 1988; authors-of-record
were Marshall
Rose and Keith McCloghrie. There were drafts before that,
of course.)

That date is before RFC 1310 which makes things more interesting.

Even more interesting is that the date is before 1 March
1989, when
the
US signed the Berne convention.  According to:

http://www.copyright.cornell.edu/public_domain/

1978 to 1 March 1989
Published without notice, and without subsequent
registration within
5 years
In the public domain

I had forgotten that - the Trust Counsel should give a
reading on this.

Indeed -- I don't see a copyright notice in RFC 1065.  This may be a
useful approach for old RFCs that lack a copyright notice. Does anyone
know when the ISOC copyright notice was first applied to RFCs?

Also do not forget that the US Government does not claim copyright. Were any RFCs written
by US Civil Servants ? Then their work is in the Public Domain.

Regards
Marshall