RE: where to send RFC 5378 license forms

2008-12-18 18:07:55

Who owns the oft-repeated
   The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
   "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and
"OPTIONAL" in this
   document are to be interpreted as described in [RFC2119].

I'm referring to the bits effectively required by the MIB
doctors, e.g.:
   This memo defines a portion of the Management Information
Base (MIB)
   for use with network management protocols in the Internet
community.
   In particular, it defines a basic set of managed objects for Simple
   Network Management Protocol (SNMP)-based management of ...

and
   For a detailed overview of the documents that describe the current
   Internet-Standard Management Framework, please refer to
section 7 of
   RFC 3410 [RFC3410].

   Managed objects are accessed via a virtual information
store, termed
   the Management Information Base or MIB.  MIB objects are generally
   accessed through the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP).
   Objects in the MIB are defined using the mechanisms defined in the
   Structure of Management Information (SMI).  This memo
specifies a MIB
   module that is compliant to the SMIv2, which is described
in STD 58,
   RFC 2578 [RFC2578], STD 58, RFC 2579 [RFC2579] and STD 58, RFC 2580
   [RFC2580].

and various incarnations of this stuff that appear in the text of RFCs
that happen to contain MIB modules, not the stuff that's in
the MIB modules.
(Earlier versions of this were rather lengthy.)

I will check into this.  Ideally, all boilerplate would be owned by the
IETF Trust, but I am not aware that anyone has ever focused on this
material.  Technically, the copyright owner would be the author(s) who
wrote the first document that says those words.  However, the copyright
in such generic phrases is vestigial at best.