Re: The internet architecture

2008-12-29 14:56:22
Noel,

On 2008-12-30 05:28, Noel Chiappa wrote:
    > From: John Day <jeanjour(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net>

    > Multihoming is fundamentally a routing problem.

(snip)

    > It is a problem of routing not be able to recognize that two points of
    > attachment go to the same place. Portraying it as anything else is just
    > deluding yourself.

I would agree with this, except I defer to the 'get down off an elephant'
principle. If both points of attachment are bound to a single transport level
entity, then it ought to be relatively easy, and not involve the routing at
all, to detect that both points of attachment lead to the same entity.

It ought to be, but unfortunately we have confounded the transport entity
namespace with the network entity namespace with the point of attachment
namespace.

    Brian