Re: The internet architecture

2008-12-29 23:20:40

On Dec 29, 2008, at 10:02 PM, Tony Finch wrote:

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008, Noel Chiappa wrote:

I have been thinking this for some time too, and it's especially
true/clear when the multi-homing in question is site multi-homing, and
not host-multihoming (which is much rarer, is my impression).

Most networkable consumer electronics ships with at least two network
interfaces. Host multihoming is only rare because it doesn't work.

Why do you say it doesn't work ? I have found host multihoming to be very useful at times, especially if the local network uses several address blocks for whatever reason. (Note that of course
there is still a router routing this.)

And, if you use a software based router (which many do) that is strictly speaking host multihoming.

Regards
Marshall

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
WIGHT PORTLAND: SOUTHEAST BACKING EAST 3 OR 4, OCCASIONALLY 5. SLIGHT,