Re: [taugh.com-standards] Re: Review of draft-ietf-dkim-ssp-08

2009-01-03 15:03:27

ned+ietf(_at_)mauve(_dot_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:
As always, the plural of anecdote is not data, so there may be places I'm unaware of where this construct is in use and doesn't cause any problems.
Now, I suppose an argument could be made that this points to the need for
ADSP to specify semantics for handling multivalued From: fields in order not
to break multivalued From: even more. But that argument only makes sense if
we believe that there's a single semantic we can assign that is broadly applicable, and I don't think anyone believes that.

This thread's taking place on the main IETF list, so it's probably worth noting some deeper issues that your observations raise:

1. Should an adjunct protocol modify core semantics of the primary protocol, rather than add semantics to it? If yes, when yes and when no?

The issue, in this particular case, is a challenge between waiting to deprecate a feature in one protocol, versus potentially introducing interoperability instabilities by failing to support that feature -- that is, effectively deprecating it -- within a follow-on, adjunct protocol.

Cavalierly modifying core semantics creates incompatible variants, and distributes their definition into unlikely places.

Since the likely answer to these sort of experience-generated questions is usually "yes, but only sometimes", the real questions are when and how?

2. If a protocol has a features that remain unexercised for a long time, when is it appropriate to deprecate it? To make the exercise a bit more challenging, take note of situations in which the protocol is modeling well-established behavior from elsewhere in the world, but which nonetheless is not a behavior that has (yet) shown up in use of the protocol.

RFC5322 models the world of memos. Paper messages and other human communications can be, and sometimes are, "from" multiple authors. That's not just theory; it's real-world practice. If the Internet's email format drops that construct from the only place in the message that provides a structured designation of authorship, how are legitimate occurrences of multiple authors to be indicated?

What we have here is a case of a protocol's supplying functional variety that models the real-world, but which has remained virtually unused for 30 years. One can easily argue that the deeper "problem" is that Internet Mail remains a limited functionality that will yet expand to fill the roles we know -- from the paper world -- are yet needed. But even if we restrict the historical review to the start of the mass market Internet (1994) we are still looking at 15 years of not expanding into that available functionality. Failure to use a feature for that long makes a strong case for deprecating it.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking