Re: [taugh.com-standards] Re: Review of draft-ietf-dkim-ssp-08

2009-01-04 11:57:47

On Sun, 2009-01-04, Dave CROCKER wrote:
   From: ACME Chief Officers:
           Alice <ceo(_at_)acme(_dot_)example(_dot_)com>,
           Bob <coo(_at_)acme(_dot_)example(_dot_)com>;

There must have been *some* concept of email that dictated that a message
could be sent *to* a group but not *from* one!

I don't remember whether this idea came up during discussions for RFC 733. I
don't think so, although it certainly seems to me to be as reasonable to be
able
to apply the construct to the author field as to a recipient field. But since
the construct so infrequently used, I'm not sure it's all that helpful to
explore this "enhancement"...

Well, this prompted me to go searching the RFCs, and I found out that the
"From: group: ... ;" construct WAS allowed in RFCs 724 and 733 but was
removed in 822. There are examples showing exactly this construct in the
earlier RFCs (724: II.D.i and 733: V.C.9), but the corresponding example
has been changed in 822 (A.2.7) and a note added specifically saying:

                                                    Note that the name
        of the committee cannot be specified, since <group> names  are
        not permitted in the From field.

I'd love to see the discussion that brought about that change.  :-)

Anyway, this tangent has probably run it's course, so I'll drop it on this
list.

--
Bill McQuillan <McQuilWP(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>