RE: [Trustees] ANNOUNCEMENT: The IETF Trustees invite your reviewand comments on a proposed Work-Around to the Pre-5378 Problem

2009-01-09 15:34:57
Ted Hardie asked me:
Are you willing to personally indemnify the individuals who are later
sued by those who don't hold this view or are you willing to pay for
the appropriate insurance cover?

Of course not. Are you (or your company) warning me that *you* might sue me
for infringement of anything you contributed to a joint industry standard
RFC? If so, thanks for the warning. Now, I'll ignore it. As I hope will most
of the people and companies who rely on IETF RFCs. You can't threaten me by
listing hundreds of people who had something to do with an RFC in the past.
Or make me beg you or your company or any of those people for permission in
order to treat an industry standard as a part of our common heritage with
the authority in the IETF Trust to deal with it (as a copyrighted document)
as it wishes in the public interest.

It would be reasonable for everyone in that list to believe that
their work could be re-used within the IETF context (it post
dates RFC 2026 sufficiently for that).   We have now changed
the rules such that their work can be used in other contexts,
provided the Trust authorizes it; prior to that, the individuals
would have had to authorize it.

Under US law, a joint copyright owner doesn't have to ask anyone's
permission to change the rules. Sorry you don't like that. Or are you
threatening to sue the IETF Trust if it changes the rules? Based on what
legal principle?

/Larry