Re: [Trustees] ANNOUNCEMENT: The IETF Trustees invite your reviewand comments on a proposed Work-Around to the Pre-5378 Problem

2009-01-09 17:08:13
John,

On 2009-01-10 10:32, John C Klensin wrote:
And note that makes a clear and plausible transition model:

      (1) Pre-5378 documents exist under pre-5378 rules, so
      any potential user for non-traditional purposes needs to
      either figure out who the relevant authors are and get
      their permission or decide the risk isn't worth worrying
      about.  If some of those authors/ contributors make
      explicit transfers to the Trust, that is great, but none
      of them have to take responsibility for identifying all
      of the others.

      (3) Post-5378 new documents are posted according to 5378
      rules, with no exceptions.

      (2) Post-5378 documents that incorporate pre-5378
      materials must used 5378 rules for any material that is
      new.  For the earlier materials, and for sorting out
      which is which, the burden falls on the potential user
      for non-traditional purposes to either figure out who
      the relevant authors are and get their permission,
      determine that all relevant authors have already given
      permission, or assume the risks.   No one else --neither
      the author(s)/ editor(s) of the new document nor the
      Trust-- is required to take responsibility for pre-5378
      contributors or contributions.  Even an editor of the
      new document that worked on the old material is not
      required to make assertions about new rights on behalf
      of his or her former employer.

Thanks John, I believe that is an excellent summary of the
viable options. My draft implicitly adds

  (2.5) Post-5378 documents that incorporate pre-5378
  materials whose original contributors have duly agreed are
  posted according to 5378 rules, with no exceptions.

To my mind the main open issue is whether we want to
require authors to try for (2.5) before proceeding to (2).

    Brian