RE: [Trustees] ANNOUNCEMENT: The IETF Trustees invite your reviewand comments on a proposed Work-Around to the Pre-5378 Problem

2009-01-09 17:17:32
John Klensin wrote:
Note 2: Larry, I'm not competent to debate your "joint
authorship" theory and hope that no one else, at least no one
who is not an attorney admitted to practice in some relevant
jurisdiction, will engage you on it.  However, it appears to me
as a non-lawyer that, if you are correct, we should be blowing
away 5378 and all of its language and concentrating on 5377
(which no one has attacked since the WG concluded).   If the
theory is correct, then 5378 complicates things because it can
easily be read as an attempt to establish principles of separate
authorship in the IETF case and get everyone to agree to those
principles, even if only as a between-contributors agreement.
And one should not wish for those complications.

I agree that the proper forum for this discussion is with the officers and
legal counsel of IETF and not this public list. I have previously written to
Jorge Contreras about some of these points and am always pleased by his
thoughtful private responses.

My only reason for bringing it up again on-list is that people here are
publicly discussing specific legal wording to fix 5378. But as a fundamental
principle of property law, I don't believe in IETF asking anyone's
permission, even respected IETF contributors, to create derivative works of
works already in the public domain or any works that IETF already owns
jointly. As John Klensin noted, 5378 and the proposed workaround
"complicates things because it can easily be read as an attempt to establish
principles of separate authorship in the IETF case and get everyone to agree
to those principles." I can't agree to that. Can you?

That's why I challenged Ted Hardie directly. Please don't take it personally
or as flaming, but anyone who wants to assert a private ownership right in
any copyright in any IETF RFC ought to do so now or forever hold your peace.
Otherwise, I think it best that the IETF Trust exercise its rights under its
joint copyright to do whatever is deemed appropriate and in the public
interest, as determined by the IETF Trustees and its legal counsel, and not
ask permission.

/Larry