Re: [Trustees] ANNOUNCEMENT: The IETF Trustees invite your reviewand comments on a proposed Work-Around to the Pre-5378 Problem

2009-01-11 16:21:35
Theodore Tso <tytso(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu> writes:

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 04:09:54PM +0100, Simon Josefsson wrote:
I would agree with you for the 2-3 sentences scenario, but that's
missing my point.  I would fully disagree when it comes to 2-3
paragraphs, 2-3 pages, or entire I-D's.  I believe the latter is the
reality with several free software projects, including the Linux kernel.

2-3 paragraphs would probably still be fair use.  I'm not aware of any
place in the Linux kernel where there was more than a few paragraphs
quoted from RFC's.  There were a few projects that included full
verbatim copies of RFC's for reference/documentation purposes,
although most of those have been removed due to the fact that previous
RFC permission statements were not compliant with the Open Source
Definition, and so distributions such as Debian required that such
full copies of the RFC had to be stripped from the source packaging.

As far as I can tell, current RFC permission statements are not
compliant with the Open Source Definition either.

/Simon