Re: [Trustees] ANNOUNCEMENT: The IETF Trustees invite your reviewand comments on a proposed Work-Around to the Pre-5378 Problem

2009-01-11 16:13:56
"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh(_at_)joelhalpern(_dot_)com> writes:

Let's be quite clear here.
Your stated requirement for doing this was that authors had to be able
to take and modify any text from anywhere in an RFC.

No, that's a different issue.  Being able (as RFC author) to include
code not written by IETF contributors is different from being able to
modify text in an RFC (as RFC reader).

The Working Group concluded that while that was reasonable relative to
code (and we tried to give the open source community that ability
relative to code), that such a wide grant was not reasonable relative
to the text content of RFC.

Alas.

(Among other concerns, such changes would include modification of
normative text and text carefully worked out by working groups to get
the meanings right.  If the WG got it wrong, the IETF is the place to
fix it, not comments in code somewhere.)

I obviously disagree.  Users of free software need the ability to fix
the source code and modify the documentation that goes along with it.
The issue should of course be brought up within the IETF too, but it
does not serve the IETF's goal of running a "smooth Internet" to make it
harder for people to fix software that runs the Internet.

/Simon