Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: The IETF Trustees invite your comments on revised proposed legend text to work-around the Pre-5378 Problem

2009-01-29 01:53:54

On Jan 23, 2009, at 11:13 AM, Paul Hoffman wrote:

Given the wide nature of what is a contributor, I would think that *any* cautious document editor would want this boilerplate in their document for *any* effort that has any contributions that might have been made before 2008-11-10. Is the Trust OK with this being in essentially every single IETF document for many years to come?

That's exactly the point I was trying to make in the post that Bob responded to; every document that was in-process prior to 5378 is going to have to carry this "We don't know" boilerplate.

I'm OK with that, and think that the revised working looks to be acceptable, although John's argument about the strength of assertion seems reasonable ( "We can't say you can copy it" is more realistic than "You cannot copy it").

--
Dean