References to Redphone's "patent"

2009-02-13 11:20:20
Lots of the recent emails on this list refer to Redphone's "patent" but
there is no such thing.

As anyone who has ever worked with real patents knows, there is a great
difference between a patent application and a patent. Whatever claims are
written in patent applications are merely wishes and hopes, placeholders for
negotiated language after a detailed examination of the application. Until
the PTO actually issues a patent, nothing is fixed. And even then,
newly-found prior art and other issues can defeat an issued patent.

Why are we all so afraid of Redphone? Who gives a damn what patent claims
they hope to get?

There's something wrong with the IETF process if spurious and self-serving
assertions that "a patent application has been filed" can serve to hold up
progress on important technology. I wish you'd ask real patent attorneys to
advise the community on this rather than react with speculation and a
generalized fear of patents.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen
3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482
707-485-1242 * cell: 707-478-8932 * fax: 707-485-1243
Skype: LawrenceRosen