Re: References to Redphone's "patent"

2009-02-13 13:12:52

Lawrence Rosen wrote:

Lots of the recent emails on this list refer to Redphone's "patent" but
there is no such thing.

In my emails, I used the reference to US patent application 11/234,404
as amended on 2008/01/25.

As anyone who has ever worked with real patents knows, there is a great
difference between a patent application and a patent. Whatever claims are
written in patent applications are merely wishes and hopes, placeholders for
negotiated language after a detailed examination of the application. Until
the PTO actually issues a patent, nothing is fixed. And even then,
newly-found prior art and other issues can defeat an issued patent.

Indeed, plus the geographical applicability restrictions that are
determined 30 or 31 months after the priority date according to PCT
rules - the above patent application has national or regional applications in Australia, Canadian, and the EU (I didn't check the EPO database, perhaps it's not the whole EPC member states).

Why are we all so afraid of Redphone? Who gives a damn what patent claims
they hope to get?

I guess (i.e. speculate) that it is more convenient for the FSF to get
publicity / support with a case involving a small organization without
significant market presence and lobbying resources that could retaliate
an FSF campaign more visibly. I thought the GnuTLS connection triggered
the FSF action, but Simon corrected me on this hypothesis.

There's something wrong with the IETF process if spurious and self-serving
assertions that "a patent application has been filed" can serve to hold up
progress on important technology. I wish you'd ask real patent attorneys to
advise the community on this rather than react with speculation and a
generalized fear of patents.

I agree.

You may notice that the FSF did not share (AFAIK) any result of
investigation into the patent application status which would include
some professional advice.

Actually, two PCT/WIPO search/examination reports are on-line, and one *denies* novelty to every claims but 3 of them, and denies inventive step to all of them! The patent applicant may (further) amend the claims at the national or regional phase, but the initial assessment is not so good for the patent applicant. Check by yourself, I do not provide professional advice in here.

So it's really the FSF campaign that is detracting the IETF process here in the way you are alluding above. The Redphone's IPR disclosure 1026 verbatim does not detract the IETF process.

Again, finer investigations and analyses of IPR issues (finer than ideological opposition to patents) would be benefitial to the IETF.

Regards,

- Thierry Moreau