Re: Current mailbombing is instigated by FSF

2009-03-01 05:39:08
TSG wrote:
The creation of a standard *** should *** have nothing to do with IP rights or licensing. The creation of any standard should JUST be based on whether proper vetting happened and whether the minimum number of ports was created and formally tested for interoperability. Anyone - and I mean ANYONE should be able to get a Standard by making the steps happen.

May I ask what would such Standards be useful for? In particular, since the IETF is committed to making *Internet* Standards, I wonder why private standards should be developed within the IETF rather than more general organizations such as, e.g., the ISO.

The term "private standards" is used above to mean norms or requirements whose use is restricted to individuals or organizations that have entered a specific agreement with the rights holders. The Internet is totally extraneous to that kind of operations, and historical evidence suggests that it would never have emerged otherwise. Current ISOC initiatives for Internet access mention that

  Regulatory impediments to internetworking, onerous licensing
  requirements and other regulatory and policy factors can slow
  or prevent Internet growth.
  http://www.isoc.org/isoc/mission/initiative/access.shtml

Using the Internet is not mandatory: it's free. If you don't like it, you may just keep clear of it.