Re: Terminal room at IETF74

2009-03-03 03:35:18

On Mar 2, 2009, at 1:52 PM, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

Dearlove, Christopher (UK) wrote:
But now, if I come to IETF74, I won't have a laptop with me.
Corporate policy, based on recent US legal decisions, is that
I may not take a laptop (or PDA etc.) into the USA. This is
not subject to modification. Obviously even a machine in the
terminal room would be a very poor second, but it seems even
that is out.

I don't know about you but I wouldn't trust a public terminal no matter
how well maintained for the applications which I carry a laptop.

Depending on your bent, either a personal laptop (with no corporate data
on it) or a mobile phone with the appropriate email conduit but no
pre-existing configuration might be a more desirable (and secure) way to go.

The worry is not that the border goons will expose confidential information on one's device, but that they'll CLAIM they did (even if they have to insert it themselves), and there's no way to disprove this when the device is writable.

Hence the need to carry no writable devices across the border, not even a USB memory stick or a camera. Or a modern cellphone, for that matter.

Of course, that doesn't keep them from claiming that you had a writable device in your possession, then planting one there. Given sufficient paranoia in one's threat model, there's just no way to justify waking up in the morning.

--
Dean Willis