Re: Passing of Jim Bound

2009-03-03 18:03:06
It is amazing how events coincide.  I have not talked to Jim in
several years and was thinking of him yesterday, determined to look
him up today and seeing what he was up too.  I remember meeting him at
my first IETF in Seattle in 1993 or 1994.  I was very interested in
IPng at the time and as a member of the IPng Directorate I spent a
fair amount of time talking to him at that IETF and many others over
the years.

I distinctly recall a very memorable IETF Plenary (at Danvers I
believe) where the Security directorate had taken the (it seemed to us
at the time) noble stance of making 56bit DES a MUST implement for
IPsec as a direct challenge to the US policy at the time to limit
export of encryption software above 40bits of key strength.  Jim gave
an impassioned presentation against the decision using "The Art of
War" as the theme.

At the time, Jim was a Vendor/Developer Incarnate in a world of
protocol geeks.  He always pointed out the issues a vendor would have
with delivering a product based on a draft or RFC.

I am very saddened to hear about his passing.  If anyone knows his
familly please express all of our good wishes.

Sincerely saddened,

Phil

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 1:59 PM, Russ Housley <housley(_at_)vigilsec(_dot_)com>