Re: [Roll] Last Call: draft-ietf-roll-building-routing-reqs (Building Automation Routing Requirements in Low Power and Lossy Networks) to Informational RFC

2009-03-06 19:21:34
Dear IETF,

This may be late, after 2009-03-05, but here it goes anyways.

There was some discussion in the WG about the Mobility requirement,
section 5.3.  It seems the requirement is indeed in the draft but
discussions don't make it appear as important as it may imply.  This
leads to potentially unclear decisions about what kind of protocol work
should be done in ROLL WG.

A simple example:
To minimize network dynamics, mobile devices SHOULD not be allowed to
 act as forwarding devices (routers) for other devices in the LLN.

This effectively prohibits the use of a NEMOv6 Mobile Router (RFC3963),
which I find otherwise very appropriate for this task.  Because I'm not
sure I know of any other mobility protocol which would achieve the same.

So, is this a requirement?  A so-and-so requirement?

A suggestion would be to completely remove the Mobility requirement
section from the draft.  But I'm not sure I could suggest that because
it appears also that the requirements are very strongly supported by
industry needs.

That's my comment,

Alex

The IESG a écrit :
The IESG has received a request from the Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks WG (roll) to consider the following document:

- 'Building Automation Routing Requirements in Low Power and Lossy Networks ' <draft-ietf-roll-building-routing-reqs-05.txt> as an Informational RFC

final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org mailing lists by 2009-03-05. Exceptionally, comments may be sent to iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org instead. In either case, please
 retain the beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

The file can be obtained via http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-roll-building-routing-reqs-05.txt

IESG discussion can be tracked via https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=17943&rfc_flag=0The
 following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D: