Stockholm info

2009-04-15 09:18:11
Hi

Here some info that might be useful when you visit Stockholm. I don't claim it
to be  the complete manual and others welcome to add info and correct where
needed.

Getting from Arlanda to the City:
There are a number of alternatives. If you want it cheap you take the bus and
then the metro. If you take the taxi, make sure that you negotiate the price
beforehand (the cost should be ~500SEK).
http://beta.stockholmtown.com/en/Travel/Tips/Getting-to-and-from-the-airports/

Public transportation:
Driving a car in Stockholm is almost as stupid as stupid can get.
Unless you'll stay at a hotel out in the boondocks I would recommend that you
use the public transportation. See
http://www.sl.se/Templates/SubStart.aspx?id=1906
for info. Also you may consider the travel cards which will keep the
transportation cost down.
See also http://beta.stockholmtown.com/en/Travel/In-Stockholm/

Stockholmskortet:
If you plan to see more that just the IETF-venue then you want to get
Stockholmskortet
http://beta.stockholmtown.com/en/Information/Buy--Order/The-Stockholm-card/
It will give you free admission to a whole bunch of attractions + free travel
with the public transportation.

Taxi:
There are a lot of unregistered taxis in Stockholm, a friendly advice.. avoid
them.
http://beta.stockholmtown.com/en/Travel/In-Stockholm/taxi/2087

Pickpockets:
Summer in Stockholm is high season for pickpockets who often like to operate in
teams, so keep your wallet close.

To see:
Well.. there are lots of things to see.. Stockholm is IMHO one of the more
beautiful cities I have seen (alright some of the suburbs are really ugly).
You shouldn't miss Vasamuseet, it hosts one of the worlds best preserved ships
from the 17th century, BTW the ship sank almost immediately due to too much
optimization:-).
Djurgården and Skansen are waterholes for the locals. Skansen hosts a sort of
compressed version of Sweden. As Stockholm is surrounded by water it is never
wrong to go with one of the many boats. And please don't forget Gamla stan.

I have probably missed a lot but I believe that this is at least a start.

Regards
Ingemar Johansson
Ingemar Johansson
Senior Research Engineer, IETF "nethead"
EAB/TVP - Multimedia Technologies
Ericsson Research Ericsson AB
Box 920 S-971 28 Luleå, Sweden
Tel: +46 (0)10 7143042