RE: [Gen-art] Gen-ART LC review ofdraft-ietf-isms-transport-security-model-12

2009-04-16 11:55:16
Yes, every document that goes through IETF-LC is assigned one gen-art
reviewer to review the document, but the gen-art review process isn't
really a formal part of the IETF document process - it happens in
parallel with IETF-LC and the reviews are done on behalf of the General
Area director.  It would not be possible for us to cover all the docs
with more than one reviewer - the team is quite small.  The reality
(from my experience) seems to be that the only reviews you can count on
during IETF-LC are those from gen-art, sec-dir (they follow a similar
model as I understand it) and other areas as applicable (e.g., APP, OPS,
etc.). Although some of the latter reviews often happen earlier in the
process.  Each of the reviews from the Gen-ART team are prefaced with a
link to a Gen-ART FAQ:
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html

Regards,
Mary Barnes
Gen-ART secretary

-----Original Message-----
From: gen-art-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:gen-art-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On
Behalf Of Ben Campbell
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2009 9:30 AM
To: Tom.Petch
Cc: General Area Review Team; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] Gen-ART LC review
ofdraft-ietf-isms-transport-security-model-12

On Apr 16, 2009, at 2:29 AM, Tom.Petch wrote:

I am surprised not to have seen more formal reviews of the quartet for

isms I-Ds whose Last Call has just finished, updating as they do a
Standard, while at the same time introducing a Transport subsystem and

model, and also introducing a new (to snmp) way of providing Security.

I do not know what or how these reviews are triggered but I would have

expected a good deal more than this one and the one that appeared as I

was drafting this response, a round dozen even.

Gen-art reviews are assigned to a team of volunteers (i.e. the general
area review team.) I'm not sure about the assignment criteria, but I
_think_ we try to catch most, if not every, draft being IETF last called
for publication.

Tom Petch