Re: [mif] [dhcwg] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-dhc-container-00

2009-04-16 13:06:36
On Apr 15, 2009, at 7:11 AM, Bernie Volz (volz) wrote:
How realistic is that most RGs with multiple interface will connect to
DIFFERENT service providers? And, in the case where they do, this likely
means someone (the owner of the RG) has to make some decisions --
requiring appropriate configuration.

(Apologies in advance for being so long-winded - I think the conclusion I reached at the bottom is interesting, and I didn't realize I was going to reach it until I walked through the line of reasoning I'm long-windedly including here, so I feel like it's worth sharing that line of reasoning in case it helps someone else to get to the same conclusion.)

The only scenario that springs to mind for me is something like the Kyocera cellular data gateway, only with a WiFi outward-facing port as well. It might connect opportunistically to open WiFi networks and also roam to 3G networks that cost more or less.

The primary problem is, how do we figure out which outgoing route to prefer? Obviously we want to use the cheap connection; how do we know it's cheap? It may be that the primary cellular data network is free, whereas roaming is not, and we would have to know that somehow.

But the secondary problem is the killer: we're advertising prefixes. The routing decision is really made by the client, when it chooses the source address. Even if the gateway always routes the packet out the cheap port, it's going to come back on the port corresponding to the prefix the client chose. And you probably can't do that because there's probably egress filtering on the cheap prefix anyway.

Bear in mind that I'm using the routing scenario as an *analogy* for what to do with the container option. I'm not a routing expert, and I'm not proposing new routing protocols to solve this problem. What I *am* saying is that in this analogy the client has to decide, and it's crucial that the client make a good decision here. And I think the analogy applies perfectly to the container option. So if we want to solve this problem, we have to solve it in such a way that the *client* has enough information to make a good decision, even though it's the RG that's actually *getting* the container options.

I should say that in IPv4, the question is moot, because there's no way to even give the client an opportunity to make this decision. And to circle back around to my original point, I'd just like to point out that the scenario I just came up with is brutally contrived. Nobody actually makes devices like the Kyocera cellular data gateway that *also* have a second outward-facing WiFi interface, and I think there's a good reason nobody does - it's not a good idea.

So although I was able to contrive a scenario where we have a real problem that needs to be solved, I don't think that scenario would happen in real life. I think in real life Bernie's scenario is the right model. You have a static gateway, set up to be multihomed by someone who knows what they are doing. They manually configure it as to what decision it should make regarding information it gets from multiple DHCP servers.

So to me, the interesting problem is really how that RG handles the vicissitudes of daily life for a router - links, which are expected to be persistent, going up and down, and what to do with the container options received on those links when they go up and down.