Re: WG Review: Multiple InterFaces (mif)

2009-04-20 16:37:02
Ted,

Huh?  Why on earth is it hard?  Strings are cheap.

On some previous WG creation exercise I was told that once the WG creation process is in the IETF's database system, the WG acronym cannot be changed, you can delete it and create a new one, but you cannot the acronym. Of course, I could create a new one and ask it to be brought to the right state... hopefully without having to re-do any real-life steps, like announcements going out or the topic being on the IESG telechat. This might work, but I'd have to investigate further to ensure that it actually is possible. If it was the only problem I would.

The other problem is that people may already recognize the name. And I don't have a nice replacement acronym in mind. Multple Interfaces is a very concrete description of the problem, even if its not the most generic one. Multiple Attachments to Networks (MAN, but too close to 6MAN), Connections to Multiple Networks (CMN, a bit boring), etc. But its too late in the day here to be creative. I'm sure someone sends the coolest acronym in reply :-)

Bottom line: not impossible, but requires some effort.

Jari