Re: [mif] WG Review: Multiple InterFaces (mif)

2009-04-21 07:56:13
Excerpts from Jari Arkko on Tue, Apr 21, 2009 02:40:54PM +0300:
There has been some discussion on whether the key issue is merging
configuration from multiple sources (the "DHCP view"), multiple
interfaces (the "original view"), multiple default routers (the "routing
view"), multiple addresses (the "IP layer view"), multiple
administrative domains (the "operational view"), and so on.

I would like to make the point that there is no single, perfect answer.
Its easy to find examples where the key issues above do not capture
everything that we want to capture (see, e.g., George's response to
Keith). Its really about the combination of these issues. And I think
that is the way it should be.

The charter text that I sent out yesterday attempts to explain what the
problem space is without prejudicing ourselves to a view from just one
perspective (except perhaps through the group's acronym). I think the
rest is work on the problem statement, and we should let the group write
that.

The IESG telechat where this could be approved is two days away. Does
someone have a big problem with the charter as written, serious enough
to warrant a change?

I think it's just about right.  It includes scenarios where an
endpoint gets information from multiple apparent sources, and does not
mention that it might be getting complex information from a single
source.  That's good.