Re: WG Review: Multiple InterFaces (mif)

2009-04-21 08:00:45
Keith, I've considered your points and continue to disagree.  I'm
mostly replying in the interest of judging consensus.

I believe that the primary use cases identified in the MIF BOF are use
cases that are not going to go away.  I think that saying "avoid
multiple addresses" is likely to be the same kind of head-in-sand
thinking that caused us to get where we are today with a number of
areas where there is a disconnect between what the market wants and
what we're willing to include in our engineering model.

Yes, the results of delivering what the market wants may be more
complicated than our conceptually pure model.  It will be less
complicated and work better than ignoring the problem and letting the
market come up with something.

So, I'd prefer to make sure that our problem analysis is narrow enough
that we're more likely to come up with an answer as useless as "don't
do that."  We may get an answer of "here are the issues to consider,
here are points on a spectrum and the problems we introduce," but I
think we can only do that if we limit the scope somewhat.