RE: Beyond reproach, accountability and regulation

2009-04-30 03:23:42

The problem here is that a
consensus based approach is a lousy way to deal with large complicated
problems where the number of stakeholders is very large and only a
tiny minority of them are able to participate in the IETF process in
an effective manner.

This may well be true, but in many respects it reminds me of the Winston
Churchill quotation:

"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the
others that have been tried."

ICANN might not be the right place to discuss issues such as I18N, but IETF
is worse.

ICANN is not by its nature a standards body so that it's not naturally well
suited to discussion of standards issues, nor would it appear that it has any
aspirations in that regard. Given that, I'm not sure what if any role ICANN
could play in enhancing progress in DNS-related standards, other than perhaps
providing some operational feedback.

And worst of all would
be to have a situation where IETF is defacto ratifying decisions that
are actually being deliberated in ICANN process.

So far, I  haven't seen much evidence of that.