Re: Status of the 16-bit AS Number space

2009-05-05 15:55:19
Tue, May 05, 2009 at 08:22:27PM +0200, Florian Weimer:
* Steve Crocker:

I strongly advise against quick reallocation of returned AS numbers.
Returned AS numbers should stay out of service for a substantial
period of time.

Why?

It seems to be consensus among operators that it's fine to use other
people's ASNs in the global routing table, so such reuse shouldn't
pose any additional problems.

It IS fine to use an ASN that has been assigned or loaned to you.

The question is why there should be moratorium on returned ASNs.  I can
think of one reason that could be of dis-service to a new assignee, but
all we have so far is handwaving from the proponents.