Re: Status of the 16-bit AS Number space

2009-05-06 00:04:07
The question is why there should be moratorium on returned ASNs.  I can
think of one reason that could be of dis-service to a new assignee, but
all we have so far is handwaving from the proponents.

 a thought experiment.

        John is properly assigned AS 701
        John uses AS 701 for a number of years, then his project is
                canceled and he decides to return it.
        John properly returns AS 701 to his RIR via the automated processes.
        The RIR notes the availability of this AS and in 15ms, reassigns it
                to, say VZB.
        VZB automated systems notice and promptly announce VZB prefixes from
                AS 701.

        Is the 15ms moritorium excessive?

--bill