Re: Security of BGP Re: Status of the 16-bit AS Number space

2009-05-13 12:19:38
We can all agree on the fact there is a problem. That does nothing.
What matters to me is if we plan to do something about it before
crunch time comes.

As for adding IPSEC to BGP, I would not want to comment on the
competence of the person involved. I will merely note that maybe the
proposal suffers from an over enthusiasm for a protocol they are
heavily invested in and an under-appreciation of the issues involved.

Before agreeing that the problem is 'hard', I would like to see
someone set out the security requirements with respect to a credible
operations model.

In particular I find it utterly unbelievable that large backbone
corporation A is going to configure its border routers to simply
accept routing information from large backboe corporation B. If I was
responsible for large corporation A then every piece of external
routing data would be funnelled into a control center and the edge
routers would only respond to control instructions from the control
center. No matter what specifications and standards might opine, that
is how I would run my network.

We thus have two BGP security problems, an internal security problem
that can be solve adequately with existing infrastructure and an
inter-network BGP security problem that has some very difficult trust
issues to manage but certainly does not need to involve the
cryptographic capabilities of router hardware. I would not generate my
routing tables on a router.

The inter-network BGP security problem can then in turn be broken down
into the problem of binding an IP address block to an AS number and
securing the anouncement of routs for an AS number. The first is
relatively straightforward as the bindings are global. They can be
generated by the IP address block holder using a signature key
advertised through reverse DNS. The second is hard as routing data
requires us to consider a transitive trust problem.

I don't think we can prevent an attacker from inserting a bogus route.
We can however deploy mechanisms that provide for accountability so
that parties who do introduce bogus routes are detected and face
consequences. And depending on the resources we are prepared to apply
we can make the deployment window really short.

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 12:44 PM, Steven M. Bellovin