Re: Last Call: draft-crocker-email-arch (Internet Mail Architecture) to Proposed Standard

2009-05-16 11:36:41
Hi Dave,
At 08:33 15-05-2009, Dave CROCKER wrote:
The text is not normative and is providing the historical chain of development for transfer and content specifications.

If you want to provide the historical chain of development, you'll have to start with RFC 1341 for MIME. Mail routing is covered in RFC 974. There's also RFC 1123 which updates or annotates portions of RFC 821 to conform to current usage (at that time). RFC 1123 discouraged all source routing and tried to abolish explicit source routing for mail delivery.

The words for Originator are "posting" and "submits". "Send" is a different word. It is commonly used in a variety of ways, some rather vague. As shown in Figure 2, there really is a logical connection between Author and Recipient. Referring to the use of that connection as sending to a Recipient.

One of the key points behind a layered architecture like this is that these higher-level, logical, end-to-end relationships are primary. Author and Recipient perceive themselves as sending to each other. They mostly don't perceive all the underlying mechanism.

The paragraph is about the basic test of Gateway design. At the higher level, they may be a perception that the author is "sending" a message to the recipient. But we are not operating at that level as the section is about gateways. The end points are the sender (in your draft the Originator fits in there) and the recipient. We are looking at the "connection" between these points where a change in "addressing", for example, isn't required for the message to get through.

Hmmmm. Ok. Since the cited specifications do say 'label', I've switched the text to say that, although I personally view 'names' as more helpful to the reader.

That would have been helpful for a less technically inclined audience.

Section 4.1.4, Table 1?

Yes.

The Author, not the Originator, defines the body. MIME structuring and labeling is defining the body. It is very much *not* the job of the Originator, which has more clerical duties.

We are talking about the "Message Body" here. That should not be confused with the message content (what the recipient views and not the raw message. My use of the word "content" may not be technically correct). MIME structuring is not really part of the content from the author's perspective if the author and originator are not the same person. It's up to the originator to see that the message conforms to Internet Mail standards (Section 2.2.1 of the draft).
RFC 5321, Section 4.4:

   "When the delivery SMTP server makes the "final delivery" of a
   message, it inserts a return-path line at the beginning of the mail
   data."

RFC 5322, Section 3.6.7 -Trace Fields:

   "A full discussion of the Internet mail use of trace fields is
   contained in [RFC5321]"

As usual, it is indeed confusing to have redundant definitions in two different specifications. Happily, here, one makes clear the other is the controlling spec for this item.

Your comment elicited a smile. :-) You mentioned RFC 5322, Section 3.6.7 which references RFC 5321 to explain trace fields. The draft references RFC 2505 for trace information.

So email-arch does have an error, here, but it's the opposite of what you note. Now fixed.

This brings us back to the document conventions used in the draft where the first part of a structured field cites the specification for the field. RFC 5322 has a registration for "Return-Path" in the Permanent Message Header Field Names registry. The "Received" header field registration references both RFC 5321 and RFC 5322.

It needs to be normative.

At the beginning of your reply, you said that the text with a reference to RFC 2821 and RFC 2822 is not normative. In the draft STD 10 and STD 11 are Informational references.

Regards,
-sm