Re: Last Call: draft-crocker-email-arch (Internet Mail Architecture) to Proposed Standard

2009-05-16 15:58:05
On 5/16/09 5:28 PM, SM wrote:
If you want to provide the historical chain of development, you'll have to start with RFC 1341 for MIME. Mail routing is covered in RFC 974. There's also RFC 1123 which updates or annotates portions of RFC 821 to conform to current usage (at that time). RFC 1123 discouraged all source routing and tried to abolish explicit source routing for mail delivery.

I think Dave is aware of that as he was in the room when that text was written (I was one of the people writing it).

Eliot