Re: Last Call: draft-dawkins-nomcom-openlist (Nominating Committee Process: Open Disclosure of Willing Nominees) to BCP

2009-06-17 10:50:37
I really think we want to stay away from any statement which implies anything about the nominees views about anyone. I do not think it is reasonable or practical to try to include disclaimers in the list of nominees about eveyr misapprehension that readers of the list may form. We ought not be making any public statement about the nominees degree of willingness to serve, degree of desire for change or stability, or any other opinion about the nominee. We are simply letting folks know that the nominee exists.

If we absolutely have to have a stronger disclaimer, I would think it would need to be quite general, not specific about nominees opinions on any one dimension. And certainly not a list of thing on which the nominee is not expressing an opinion in public.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern

Stewart Bryant wrote:
Stephen Farrell wrote:
Something like: "This is the list of those
nominated (or self-nominated) for IESG positions. The
nominees have said that they're willing to serve if
selected, but there is no implication that they consider
the incumbent unsuited for re-appointment."

Presumably there would need to be a second list of
names with the text: "These nominees have said that
they're willing to serve because they think the
incumbent is unsuitable for re-appointment."

... or maybe this would be expresses as just a
second list of names.

Stewart