Re: Last Call: draft-dawkins-nomcom-openlist (Nominating Committee Process: Open Disclosure of Willing Nominees) to BCP

2009-06-17 11:45:09
Joel M. Halpern wrote:
I really think we want to stay away from any statement which implies anything about the nominees views about anyone. I do not think it is reasonable or practical to try to include disclaimers in the list of nominees about eveyr misapprehension that readers of the list may form. We ought not be making any public statement about the nominees degree of willingness to serve, degree of desire for change or stability, or any other opinion about the nominee. We are simply letting folks know that the nominee exists.

If we absolutely have to have a stronger disclaimer, I would think it would need to be quite general, not specific about nominees opinions on any one dimension. And certainly not a list of thing on which the nominee is not expressing an opinion in public.

What he said. I do not think it is realistic to document the degree of willingness to serve or the opinion of the nominee about any of the other candidates. (And in fact, its not certain that there is always clear information to reveal.) The IETF community members who see a list of candidates should also take into account that they do not really know what the candidates' intents, desires, and abilities to serve are.

Jari