Re: Proposed Revisions to the IETF Trust Legal Provisions (TLP)

2009-06-24 08:25:47
---- Original Message -----
From: "Simon Josefsson" <simon(_at_)josefsson(_dot_)org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 5:30 PM

John C Klensin <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com> writes:

Assuming that I'm not the only one who sees the recent patterns
as problematic

I don't think you are alone with that impression.  The process you
outline (posting preliminary versions in draft-* form) sounds great to
me.

Mmmmm ... I think that one thing that the ipr working group got absolutey right
was the decision not to try and craft legally suitable wording for intellectual
property rights, rather delegating that task.

This sounds like a suggestion to restart the ipr wg, perhaps in the hope of
getting a different outcome:-)

I would however agree with the suggestion that a complicated (to me as a lay
person) document should be accompanied by a non-legally binding lay explanation,
eg as to why it is thought suitable to cut the review period from 28 to 14 days,
or why a reference to the BSD licence should be thought adequate.

Tom Petch

 I suggested it earlier, and the IETF Trust response was at least
not negative to the idea.  Hopefully it can be implemented.  This would
also solve the problem of recording the history of document drafts, and
making sure documents are readily available via IETF mirrors even if the
main site is down or material is removed from it, which is another
concern today.

/Simon