ops.ietf.org Blacklisting Complications

2009-06-27 02:50:23
ops.ietf.org is hosted at psg.com, which uses blacklists from the MAPS.

I take no position on either MAPS or the external hosting, but I object to the use of RBLs for filtering IETF traffic. This seems to go against the IESG spam policy statement, which makes it quite clear that participants should not be disrupted (although not necessarily to the extent that it forbids RBL use).
http://www.ietf.org/IESG/STATEMENTS/spam-control-policy.html

My mail to ops.ietf.org itself isn't filtered, but my mail to psg.com is. I am using a Google smarthost with Google Apps. I do not consider myself a spammer and don't reflect my neighbours reputations, good or bad, upon myself, in order the better to assist the agenda of RBL operators. I don't know what Google's reputation is, but I am using their service because I find it reliable. There is simply no reason to block the legitimate traffic. But psg.com processes mailing list requests for ops.ietf.org, and every time I want to send mail to ops.ietf.org I have to carefully rewrite it.

If nothing else, I want people to be aware of the situation. I would, of course, like ops.ietf.org to fall under proper IETF administration guidelines.

Cheers,
Sabahattin