Re: Call for Comments: "Uncoordinated Protocol Development Considered Harmful"

2009-06-27 07:06:48
I think that the conclusion in s.4, that this is the solution to problems of
cooperation, will turn out to be rather rose-tinted in years to come.

It reminds me of a Professor of Engineering in my student days, who one year,
told us how successful his redesign of a road junction was, relieving congestion
all round to the benefit of all.  A year later, I heard him again, and this time
he concluded that after spending vast sums of money, all he had achieved was to
lift the traffic jam 25 feet into the air.

I track the mpls-tp list and see two very different styles, of process, of
commenting, of consensus (know any other IETF lists where 10 successive posts
were each about one Megabyte in size?) which tells me that the differences
between ITU-T and IETF have just been moved to another forum.

The MEAD team and JWT, and the changes to IETF process, as described in
draft-andersson-mpls-tp-process, may be a step forward, but there is still a
long way to go before there is a mutually agreeable set of standards which must
be the acid test of cooperation.

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "IAB Chair" <iab-chair(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
To: "IETF Announcement list" <ietf-announce(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Cc: <mmorrow(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>; <iab(_at_)iab(_dot_)org>;
<stbryant(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2009 12:07 PM
Subject: Call for Comments: "Uncoordinated Protocol Development Considered
Harmful"

The IAB intends to publish the following document and invites any
comments you might have:

"Uncoordinated Protocol Development Considered Harmful"
 http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iab-mpls-tp-uncoord-harmful-00

Abstract

  This document identifies various types of damage that may occur
  without formal coordination and joint development on protocols of
  mutual interest between standards development organizations.  The IAB
  has selected T-MPLS as recent case study to describe hazard to both
  the MPLS and Internet architecture as a result of uncoordinated
  adaptation of a protocol.

  This experience has resulted in a considerable improvement in the
  relationship between the two organisations.  In particular, this was
  achieved via the establishment of the "Joint working team on MPLS-TP"
  which was the first ever joint ITU/IETF group.  In addition, the
  leadership of the two organisations have agreed to improve inter-
  organizational working practices so as to avoid conflict in future
  between ITU-T Recommendations and IETF RFCs.

Please provide your feedback before June 28, 2009.

For the IAB,

--Olaf Kolkman
 IAB Chair