Nomcom 2009-10: Final Call for Volunteers

2009-06-27 10:28:55
Hi Folks,

This is the final call for more volunteers for the 2009-10 Nomcom - the
dealine is 5:00 pm CST on Friday, July 3rd. The list of people and posts
whose terms end with the March 2010 IETF meeting, and thus the positions
for which the nominating committee is responsible, are summarized in the
initial announcement:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/ann/nomcom/1936/

The IETF nominating committee appoints folks to fill the open slots on
the IAOC, the IAB, and the IESG. The 10 nominating committee members are
selected randomly from a pool of volunteers.  The details of the operation
of the nomcom can be found in RFC 3777.

We've had good response over the past week adding 6 new volunteers to the
pool, bringing our total to 77, with the following individuals qualified
for the pool, in the format of <first name> <last name>, <affiliation>.
Thanks to everyone that has volunteered so far!
Note, a duplicate of this message is available here (with better
formatting for some email systems):
http://www.ietf.org/nomcom/index.html

Marc Blanchet, Viag�nie
John Drake, Boeing Satellite Systems
Stephen Hanna, Juniper Networks
Lixia Zhang, UCLA
Sean Turner, IECA, Inc.
Wassim Haddad, Ericsson
David H. Crocker, Brandenburg InternetWorking
David Meyer, Cisco/University of Oregon
Kurt Zeilenga, Isode Limited
Spencer Dawkins, Huawei Technologies (USA)
Yi Zhao, Huawei USA
Glen Zorn, Network Zen
Christian Schmidt, Nokia Siemens Networks
Jouni Korhonen, Nokia Siemens Networks
Enrico Marocco, Telecom Italia
Ingemar Johansson, Ericsson AB
Christer Holmberg, LM Ericsson
Theo Zourzouvillys, VoIP.co.uk
Scott Brim, Cisco
Bernie Hoeneisen, Swisscom
Stephen Farrell, Trinity College Dublin/NewBay Software
Simon Perreault, Viag�nie
Teemu Savolainen, Nokia
Suresh Krishnan, Ericsson
David Sinicrope, Ericsson
Stephen Kent, BBN Technologies
Richard Barnes, BBN Technologies
Pete Resnick, Qualcomm Incorporate
Feng Hu, Huawei
Salvatore Loreto, Ericsson
Jan Melen, Ericsson
Mehmet Ersue, Nokia Siemens Networks
Yakov Rekhter, Juniper Networks
Conny Jorgen Larsson, Ericsson AB
Joe Abley, ICANN
Shane Kerr, ISC
Eliot Lear, Cisco Systems GmbH
Larry J. Blunk, Merit Network
Matt Lepinski, BBN Technologies
Andrew Sullivan, Shinkuro, Inc.
Stephan Wenger, No Affiliation
Anwar Siddiqui, Avaya Inc.
Randall J. Atkinson, Extreme Networks
Dimitri Papadimitriou, Alcatel-Lucent Bell
Kaushik Narayan, Cisco Systems Inc.
Thomas Walsh, Juniper Networks
Wojciech Dec, Cisco
Fred L. Templin, Boeing Research & Technology
Luca Martini, Cisco
Kevin Yin, Cisco
Ray Bellis, Nominet (UK)
Erick Sasaki, NTT
John Jason Brzozowski, COMCAST
Tom Taylor, PT Taylor Consulting Inc./Huawei
Roque Gagliano, LACNIC
Hannes Tschofenig, Nokia Siemens Networks
Keith Drage, Alcatel-Lucent
Bernard Aboba, Microsoft Corporation
Huub van Helvoort, Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
Phillip Hallam-Baker, VeriSign Inc., Default Deny Security Inc.
Hui Deng, China Mobile
Jonne Soininen, Nokia Siemens Networks
Shuo (Sean) Shen, Huawei
Hannu Flinck, Nokia-Siemens Networks
Simo Veikkolainen, Nokia
Krisztian Kiss, Nokia
Vijay Devarapalli, WiChorus
George Michaelson, APNIC
Gabor Bajko, Nokia
Geoff Huston, APNIC
Louis (Lou) Berger, LabN Consulting, L.L.C.
---New since last week--->
John Elwell, Siemens Enterprise Communications Ltd.
David Bryan, Cogent Force, LLC
Yaron Sheffer, Check Point
Hong Shao, ZTE Corporation
Telemaco Melia, Alcatel-Lucent Bell Labs
Behcet Sarikaya, Huawei USA

If you have volunteered and are not on the above list or have not heard
from me otherwise, please contact me ASAP.  There are 7 other volunteers
whose qualification is outstanding.

However, we still need more volunteers as the total with the additional
volunteers would be 85. The more volunteers, the better chance we have of
choosing a random yet representative cross section of the IETF population.
  I would like to see a pool of at least 100, so 16 more volunteers over
the next week would great!  And, while you have until July 3rd to
volunteer, volunteering early really improves the efficiency of the
administrative process and ensures that we can quickly make the selection
after the deadline.

As a reminder, volunteers must have attended 3 of the past 5 IETF
meetings - per RFC 3777, which means 3 of the following meetings: IETF-70,
IETF-71, IETF-72, IETF-73 and IETF-74.  If you qualify, and are willing to
forgo appointment to any of the positions for which the nominating
committee is responsible, please volunteer.

The primary activity for this nomcom will begin just prior to IETF-75 in
Stockholm and should be completed in early January 2010.  The nomcom will
be collecting requirements from the community, as well as talking to
candidates and to community members about candidates. There will be weekly
conference calls to ensure progress. Thus, being a nomcom member does
require some time commitment.  While, there is no requirement in RFC 3777
that a participant attend IETF meetings while serving on nomcom, folks
should consider that during the IETF meetings, folks that do not attend
would be expected to remotely participate during the day in the timezones
of the meeting locations - Stockholm the end of July and Hiroshima in
November.

If you are not yet sure you would like to volunteer, please consider that
nomcom members play a very important role in shaping the leadership of the
IETF.  Ensuring the leadership of the IETF is fair and balanced and
comprised of those who can lead the IETF in the right direction is an
important responsibility that rests on the IETF participants at large.
Volunteering for the nomcom is a good way of contributing in that
direction.

Please volunteer by sending an email before 5:00 pm CDT July 3, 2009 as
follows:

To: mary(_dot_)barnes(_at_)nortel(_dot_)com  (if you get any bounces, etc.,
please forward
the email to mary(_dot_)h(_dot_)barnes(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com - corporate spam
filters were a bit
overzealous last week. Feel free to 'cc' that email in your initial
request)

Subject: Nomcom 2009-10 Volunteer

Please include the following information in the body:

<Your Full Name>  // As you enter in the IETF Registration Form,
                  // First/Given name followed by Last/Family Name
                  // Please include all variations of names you might have
used

<Current Primary Affiliation>
                  // as entered in the in the IETF Registration Form

<Preferred email address>

<all email addresses used to Register for the past 5 IETF meetings>

<Telephone number>         // May be used for confirmation if selected

I will be out of the office with no Internet connectivity for the most
part the week of June 29-July 3.  If you send your email prior to June
28th, you should hear back from me by the June 29th.  I will check emails
on June 30th. If you have volunteered prior to June 30th, you should hear
back from me by June 30th. If you volunteer after June 30th, you should
hear back from me before July 4. If you do not hear back from on the
aforementioned dates, please re-send your email with the tag "Duplicate:"
added to the subject line.

The plan is to publish the complete list of numbered volunteers on July
7th. The complete timeline and seed sources will be published shortly.

Thank you,
Mary H. Barnes
mary(_dot_)barnes(_at_)nortel(_dot_)com
nomcom-chair(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
mary(_dot_)h(_dot_)barnes(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com