RE: [TLS] Last Call: draft-ietf-tls-extractor (Keying Material Exportersfor Transport Layer Security (TLS)) to Proposed Standard

2009-07-22 18:40:47
I agree with Simon that the IETF's disclosure page could use some work,
it seems rather confusing and it is not consistently filled out.

Comments inline below:

If your interpretation were correct, then we would have to
say that Certicom is not claiming IPR on _any_ IETF
document---draft or RFC---since none are listed in Section V.
But I think that is obviously incorrect---I think you have
misinterpreted what should be in which section.

[Joe] Are we both looking at https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1154/?  In
section V I see several documents listed:

"RFC 3278, RFC 4109, RFC 4492, RFC 4753, RFC 4754, RFC 4869, RFC 5008,
RFC 5289, draft-rescorla-tls-suiteb-12, draft-green-secsh-ecc-07,
draft-igoe-secsh-suiteb-00, draft-ietf-smime-3278bis-07,
draft-ietf-smime-sha2-11"

Section titles and descriptions:

 Section IV. IETF Document or Other Contribution to Which
this IPR  Disclosure Relates:

 Section V. Disclosure of Patent Information (i.e., patents
or patent  applications required to be disclosed by Section 6
of RFC 3979)

Section IV lists the drafts and RFCs.  Section V lists the patents.
One would not expect to find a draft or RFC listed in Section
V, nor a patent listed in Section IV.

Extractor and other documents are listed in section IV.

[Joe] Section V also has a sub-section C, which allows you to specify
what parts of IETF documents are covered by the patent information
disclosed in section V.  This section lists several documents which is a
subset of what is mentioned in section IV.  This seems straight forward
to me.

Joe
              --Dean