Comment on TLP revisions re non-IETF documents

2009-07-22 19:42:20
This may seem like a small comment but I believe it is important.
We know that we have an issue to resolve collectively, namely the
IPR regimes for non-IETF stream documents. We probably agree that
(as the revised TLP says or implies) it is for each stream individually
to decide whether it accepts none, some or all of the IETF rules
and the IETF Trust's legal provisions.

However, Clause 2.f.i of the draft revised TLP includes the
statement "The IETF Trust does not determine the legal rules that
apply to documents in Alternate Streams."

I would like to see that changed to "The IETF Trust does not
*currently* determine the legal rules that apply to documents in
Alternate Streams."

Rationale: some of the other streams might choose to request the
Trust to do so. (Or they might not; I don't know.)

I have re-read the "Purpose" clause of the Trust Agreement, and
it has the flexibility to allow the Trust to do this, if so
requested and agreed. We shouldn't remove that flexibility.

There are other issues in this area, but John Klensin's appeal
already addresses them.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter