Re: Retention of blue sheets

2009-07-30 10:25:27
Unless the sobpeonas pose a substantial burden to the secretariat, I
would prefer that we do not throw away history.  These are public
meetings, after all.

Eliot

On 7/30/09 4:03 PM, Samuel Weiler wrote:
[Sorry for the possible duplicate; my posting from last night hasn't
appeared yet.]

During the plenary yesterday, it came out that the IETF has retained
the working group attendance sheets ("blue sheets") from previous
meetings, and those are occasionally the subject of subpoenas.

In the interest of minimizing IETF overhead and reducing legal risks
to individual participants, I'd like to see those old records
destroyed.  And, though there appeared to be a variety of opinions, it
sounded like I wasn't alone in this.

The reason typically given for the attendance lists is planning
meeting room capacity.  That purpose could easily be accomplished with
a headcount or by counting the number of names on the attendee list
then immediately destroying the list.  Most of us aren't
mathematicians by training: we should be able to count the number of
people in the room.

What harms would come from destroying those old records and/or not
collecting such details in the future?  And how widespread is the
support for destroying them?

-- Sam