Re: Retention of blue sheets

2009-07-30 10:26:29
On 7/30/09 at 3:03 PM +0100, Samuel Weiler wrote:

What harms would come from destroying those old records and/or not collecting such details in the future? And how widespread is the support for destroying them?

Repeating something I just mentioned to Sam in the hallway (and IANAL, even though I teach some of this stuff to engineers):

There is some case law that says that if you participate (even passively) in a standards body in which patent disclosure is required, and you choose not to disclose your patents, you may lose your rights to assert the patents. Having a blue sheet with someone's name on it may be sufficient for a court to find that the person can't assert. I think that makes the blue sheets worth keeping.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
Qualcomm Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102