Re: Retention of blue sheets

2009-07-30 19:10:01
On Fri, 31 Jul 2009, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

I think that we *care* about IPR disclosures and that we *hate* the idea
of people observing IETF activity and concealing relevant patents. So having
a record of WG attendance is important; having a record of mailing list
membership would be the same. We want to make sure that people can't
falsely plead ignorance in case of missing IPR disclosures.

That means keeping attendance records for many years - at least for the
lifetime of a hypothetical patent.

Though blue sheets have no security. They can only be used as evidence
for someone being there (after verifying handwriting). The blue sheets
can never proof someone was NOT there. Neither can the IETF payment
system. Someone could pay and then not show up (because of last minute
legal advise against showing up for example)

Paul