Re: anchor parameter, was: Last Call: draft-nottingham-http-link-header (Web Linking) to Proposed Standard

2009-08-03 12:32:45
On Sun, 2 Aug 2009, Julian Reschke wrote:
Ian Hickson wrote:
Unless there are really strong use cases, I think that the anchor= attribute
should be dropped. In practice, implementations today ignore that attribute,
which would mean that, e.g., a rel=stylesheet;anchor=a link would fail to
have the "right" effect. If it is kept, then the right behaviour for how
this should integrate with style sheet linking should be defined in great
detail.

Could you please elaborate what the "right" effect is, and how current
implementations fail for that?

Well unless I'm mistaken, if we have a resource A that has:

   Link: <B>; rel=stylesheet; anchor=C

...then that means we have a link:

   C - stylesheet - B

...which means that applying the style sheet to A would be wrong. Yet that
is what UAs that support Link: would presumably do.

It appears to me that anchor is not relevant for every single link
relation, but that doesn't mean it's not useful at all.

I don't see how it can't be relevant... if the link relation is between
two resources, then acting as if it was a relationship between others
seems wrong.