Re: Proposed Policy for Modifications to Trust Legal Provisions (TLP)

2009-08-17 20:55:35
I agree with the proposed policy, except that I propose
calling it just "Procedure". It isn't policy, it's just
common sense about how to implement policy.

On 2009-08-18 07:57, Simon Josefsson wrote:
This is another reason why the current approach of getting IETF
consensus on an RFC and publishing should be preferred.  Compare RFC
5377.  It is a well defined process, and unless there is consensus that
the approach is broken I believe we should use the normal process.  Can
we start and agree on a problem statement before finding solutions?

It would be serious overkill to do this for trivial legal verbiage changes,
which is what we've been discussing for the last 9 months. As Russ implied,
a change of actual *IPR policy* for the the IETF would be an IETF matter;
we're talking here about the Trust's implementation of that policy, or
of policies for the non-IETF document streams, via the TLP. Even an I-D
could be overkill for verbiage changes.

Along the same lines, an emergency procedure is entirely appropriate,
and well within the policy created by RFC4748 and 5378.

    Brian