Re: Last Call: draft-iana-ipv4-examples (IPv4 Address Blocks Reserved for Documentation) to Informational RFC

2009-08-23 16:40:08

On Aug 23, 2009, at 4:19 PM, Jari Arkko wrote:

Further discussion would be useful on one issue that was brought to our attention.

The issue is the status of 128.66.0.0/16. This block, TEST-B, has been used for example purposes. There is no RFC that talks about this block, but my understanding is that IANA/ARIN have marked it as reserved. If you search the Internet you will find at least some number of examples and firewall rule sets that use this block, but I have no good idea about how widespread such usage is.

What should we do about this block? Some of the potential answers include documenting its role, marking it as reserved but deprecating its use in examples, and returning it to the free pool immediately (with a warning sign about possible filtering problems).

In whois, it's listed as

NetRange:   128.66.0.0 - 128.66.255.255
CIDR:       128.66.0.0/16
NetName:    TEST-B
NetHandle:  NET-128-66-0-0-1
Parent:     NET-128-0-0-0-0
NetType:    IANA Special Use
Comment:
RegDate:    1993-03-18
Updated:    2002-09-12

RFC3330 says

128.0.0.0/16 - This block, corresponding to the numerically lowest of the former Class B addresses, was initially and is still reserved by the IANA. Given the present classless nature of the IP address space, the basis for the reservation no longer applies and addresses in this block are subject to future allocation to a Regional Internet Registry for assignment in the normal manner.
------
If there is no RFC, IANA or ARIN documentation assigning it to some use, why not put it into the free pool ? Users have been warned for 7 years now.

Regards
Marshall

Jari