Re: Proposed Policy for Modifications to Trust Legal Provisions (TLP)

2009-09-08 08:56:39

On Sep 8, 2009, at 2:06 PM, Simon Josefsson wrote:

I'm strongly concerned that this puts the decision making of what is and
what is not a problem into the Trust's hands.

No, there is always step 5: review of the new text or decision not to change the text. If a suggestion isn't considered a good idea by the Trust, the
reasons for not changing it can be discussed in this step.

Step 4 puts a veto for changes into the Trust's hands.  Members on the
Trust can be removed by the IETF, but I don't believe that is a good way
to make the Trust to do something the IETF requests.

As a Trustee I've signed a statement that reads:

3. The undersigned hereby agrees to serve as a Trustee to the Trust and to fulfill the duties of a Trustee in accordance with the terms of the Trust Agreement and all other requirements of law applicable to service as a trustee of a Virginia trust and to comply with all requirements of the Trust Agreement applicable to his/her
    service as a Trustee

If a proposal from the IETF is in conflict with the terms of the Trust Agreement or the law then a Trustee has the obligation to veto it (a fairly academic possibility, I believe).

However, if such happens I think that the Trust has the obligation (MUST) to explain the motivations in quite some detail, and explain why they did not catch the problem earlier in the process.

--Olaf

                                       Science Park 140,