Re: [Trustees] Proposed Policy for Modifications to Trust Legal Provisions (TLP)

2009-09-08 12:03:25
Henk Uijterwaal <henk(_at_)ripe(_dot_)net> writes:

Simon Josefsson wrote:

If a proposal from the IETF is in conflict with the terms of the Trust
Agreement or the law then a Trustee has the obligation to veto it (a
fairly academic possibility, I believe).

I don't see how that is related to step 4 above.  There is plenty of
mechanisms left for the Trust to veto changes to become effective -- for
example, you can just refuse to approve the change -- however my point
is about having the trust be able to cancel the process to modify the
TLP even before it has been subject to community discussion.  That
approach appears contrary to the concept that the Trust carries out the
wishes of the IETF and not the other way around.

I don't see how this is possible:  If the community believes that a
change should be made, the Trust has to (at least) review it and
explain why it believes that this is not a good idea.  This brings
us to phase 5, community discussion, where one can discuss the
arguments for not making the change.

Exactly.  What step 4 does is to allow the trust to cancel the community
review by declaring that it doesn't agree.

At this point several things can happen.  One possibility is that the
community really wants the change but the Trust doesn't.  In that
case, there is an possibility for appeal.

Step 6 allows the trust to evaluate the community request and veto the
request if needed.

What I'm objecting to is to allow the trust to veto the TLP changes as
early as step 4, before there has been community review of the proposal.

/Simon